By Nayita Wilson
Public relations (PR) is an amazing field that requires creativity, stamina and equal amounts of loyalty and strategy! When new PR practitioners transition into the field, there is a world of opportunity awaiting them. But before accepting any opportunity, you have to get your foot, head and heart in the door!
Yes, it’s going to take a lot more than brains and savvy to not only get you in the door, but to help you fully break in.
To leave memorable impressions on future employers or clients, there are several key questions that PR practitioners may want to answer honestly about how to break into PR as opportunities are pursued:
- Do I fully understand that my employer’s or client’s goal for PR supersede my professional goals and aspirations? And am I truly willing to play the behind the scenes role to allow others to shine?
- Can I perform the requirements with professionalism and competency?
- What fresh ideas can I, or am I willing to, bring to the table?
- Can I really be trusted to promote, protect and build this brand, cause or initiative?
- Am I willing to be all in?
Even if these questions are never asked verbally, your responses to them will become evident in your level of commitment, effectiveness and overall attitude towards the amazing individuals and entities your represent. When you’re able to answer all affirmatively and with confidence, you won’t have to look for opportunities; they’ll chase you down.
Nayita Wilson is owner & CEO of NVisions Communications & Consulting, a vision driven public relations firm headquartered in the Greater New Orleans region that specializes in media relations, messaging, strategic communications, talent management and brand positioning. She can be reached at Nayita@NVisionsCommunications.com.
Connect with NVisions at Facebook.com/NVisionsCommunications and on Twitter @NVisionsPR.
©2015, NVisions Communications & Consulting LLC